Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jill Petersen finishes third at San Francisco Tri




Check out Jill's account of the race:


The San Francisco Triathlon was going to be an ITU point’s
race, but due to a minor oil spill (58,000 gallons of oil) was dumped
into the bay on Wednesday, November 8th. We were racing on
Treasure Island (witch was kind of close the crash site), needless to
say the swim was canceled! Instead of swimming we were running,
it turned into a duathlon (that meant no points), run- bike –run.
Run:
It was two loops totaling 6.5K (2 miles each), to start! That’s
a long way! We started off the first lap under control and it felt good,
we had a group of 10 girls in the first pack. After the first loop Haskins and Julie decided they wanted that group
to be smaller, they picked up the pace A LOT! Those two dropped
everyone except Groff and I, I really didn’t want them to get away.
I hung on and made it back to transition with them. (Run time is not
on the results; 23 min 51 sec)
Bike:
It was 6 loops, technical 40K bike. To top the technical bike
course it was also very rough, lots of potholes and uneven pavement,
sand, and glass. At least it was flat; with one hill (this had the nicest
section of road). Our pack stayed together, while each girl took
there pulls. It took me a while to get into the swing of things with
Haskins, Julie, and Groff; I had never ridden with them before but
after a few laps I felt more comfortable when taking a pull on the
bike. They are all really strong riders; it was great to ride with them.
Run:
Coming off the bike and going out for a 2nd run, hurt a lot more
than just swimming before hand. We had to do the same loops we did
earlier, but this time we had to go 3 laps (10K…a little long). At the
start of the run my feet were numb and that made the run into transition
painful. The girls just took off form the start, I couldn’t keep up with. I
tried not to let them get too far away. I had lost a tone of ground to Julie
and Haskins but Groff only put 20sec on me, and I caught back up to
passed her in the last 1.5 miles. That moved me into 3rd, I started to gain
some ground on Haskins but it wasn’t enough.
This was a huge step for me and I learned a lot from being able
to race with the best of the US triathletes! I made podium with the next
Olympic hopeful’s! (Julie Ertel-Swail and Sarah Haskins!) One more
race December 1st, my first World Cup!
Race Website: http://www.tricalifornia.com/treasureisland/2007/
Results:
http://www.tricalifornia.com/treasureisland/2007/results/olydvelt.cfm

No comments: